Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Psychology: From A Professor’s Viewpoint

      
Psychology is such an interesting, useful field of study, because it can lead to so many different areas of education and a multitude of different careers: counseling, assessment, research, and even to more specific fields of study such as, social psychology, developmental psychology, and even counseling for specific populations. I became interested in Psychology during my undergraduate studies at Georgia College in Milledgeville. The one thing I loved about it was the fact that it really helped me to better understand my friends, family, strangers, and myself (I was the student who diagnosed myself and my friends with different disorders). Now, put a clinical degree on top of that and I know more about people, the brain, and personality than I ever thought possible.
My degrees have lead me to becoming a professor of Psychology with GMC’s Online Campus, beginning about two years ago. I have really enjoyed teaching, specifically the online Human Growth and Development course (PSY 203). This course is so interesting to me and it was one of my favorite courses in school. I loved learning about the different developmental theories and the ways that we are influenced by our genetics and environment throughout life. I also love teaching it, because I learn something new every term from my students. The biggest problem students experience in this course is usually learning APA style and implementing it correctly. I would say the best part about this course, is that students find it so applicable to their lives and they always have great examples to provide during discussions.

The PSY 203 course is great for anyone who is interested in the field of Psychology or Nursing. This course is usually required for nursing programs, because it covers the entire life-span. It helps nursing students to better understand their patients and gives some insight into the diagnoses they might encounter. Want to learn more about our Psychology program? Read more here

No comments:

Post a Comment